Best Canvas Print Sizes
by Laura Gardiner
Studio Manager, Tribeca Printworks
Canvas giclee prints are excellent options for wall art. You can get personal images and artwork printed onto these durable and ready-to-hang decor solutions. Canvas giclee prints are exceptional bases for many art types.
One of the most important aspects of getting a canvas print is choosing the correct size. You should choose dimensions that fit your room without overpowering it. Learning about common dimensions and ratios can help you select the most fitting canvas size for your image.
Why Is Canvas Size Important?
The proper canvas size is essential for appearance and functionality. Your wall art should strengthen the room and add a beautiful focal point. Overly large canvases might feel overwhelming or detract from other room elements, while too-small canvases can make your space feel bare.
These are other examples of why canvas size is so important:
- You can fill white space: Wall art allows you to personalize your space with images of your choosing. Canvas giclee prints are excellent options that offer cost-effective, lightweight and high-quality displays of artwork. With the proper sizing technique, you can fill empty wall areas with aesthetically pleasing and exact placements.
- You can accentuate furniture: Measuring canvas size helps you highlight your furniture. The right dimensions will accompany your furniture rather than overwhelm it. Proper canvas sizing allows you to create a unified and compatible room.
- You can complement other decorations: In addition to furniture, your canvas print sizes impact other wall art or room decorations. Finding the right size lets the new canvas giclee print take up necessary space without overshadowing other features.
What Are Common Sizes for Canvas Prints?
You can find the best fit for your artwork or image by exploring standard sizes for canvases. Different dimensions might suit particular project types more closely. For instance, a small canvas might not fill a wide, empty space, while a larger canvas might be unsuitable for a smaller image.
Here are five common canvas print sizes and their advantages:
1. 10″ x 8″ Canvas Prints
A 10″ x 8″ giclee canvas print is about the size of a standard sheet of paper. Their petite size makes them popular choices for smaller locations, such as desks or bookcases. They also work well as wall art for more enclosed areas, such as entryways or small rooms.
In addition, 10″ x 8″ prints are extremely versatile. You can customize the prints with features like:
- Orientation: 10″ x 8″ canvas prints work in both portrait and landscape orientations.
- Image type: These prints can accommodate many image types, from family photos to artwork renditions.
- Purpose: You can hang this canvas size on your wall, use it as a desk accessory or give it as a gift for someone else.
2. 24″ x 10″ Canvas Prints
A 24″ x 10″ canvas print is another popular selection. This type features long vertical dimensions and shorter horizontal edges, creating a long rectangular shape. The format is ideal for displaying panoramic views and images — such as cityscapes — because it allows you to retain every detail of longer photographs and images.
The 24″ x 10″ style can fit nicely in home areas like:
- Above mantels: Fireplace mantels offer a unique opportunity for decoration. The 24″ x 10″ style fits nicely above the long frame. You could hang a family portrait or a beautiful panoramic nature view.
- In long hallways: This size’s extended dimensions are perfect for long hallways. You can fill the empty hallway space with a detailed and personalized image.
- Over long furniture pieces: 24″ x 10″ frames can also complement long furniture pieces. For instance, you might hang it over an extended couch or by a long dining room table.
3. 20″ x 16″ Canvas Prints
A 20″ x 16″ print is one of the standard canvas sizes that can suit many image types. You could display family photos, your favorite artwork or anything in between. Use it as a standalone decoration or pair it with other sizes. A 20″ x 16″ canvas print makes an excellent addition to many rooms, including:
- Living rooms: Your living room has many opportunities for customization. Many choose to fill white space above the couch or television with wall art. With a 20″ x 16″ canvas print, you can select an image that matches your preferences or room aesthetic.
- Offices: The right canvas print can boost your mood or motivate you while you work in your office.
- Bedrooms: These print sizes also fit nicely into bedrooms, where you may want to show off your individual style even more.
4. 20″ x 30″ Canvas Prints
The 20″ x 30″ prints are an example of large canvas sizes perfect for wall art. Many people use 20″ x 30″ canvas sizes for family photos because they can capture every detail in a broad frame.
These canvas sizes suit rooms like dining rooms, living rooms and other gathering spaces.
5. 24″ x 36″ Canvas Prints
Lastly, the 24″ x 36″ print is one of the largest options for wall canvas sizes. They are often used as standalone pieces or centerpieces with smaller frames surrounding them. Either way, they’ll leave a lasting impression on visitors. You can select stunning artwork or other memorable images to fill the dimensions.
This canvas size is popular for many spaces, including:
- Living rooms
- Gathering spaces
How Do You Find the Best Canvas Size?
Finding an exact fit for your image requires some measurements but is well worth it.
Canvas sizes use aspect ratios to designate specific sizes. This ratio indicates how one side of the canvas relates to the other. For instance, squares have a ratio of 1:1 because every side matches exactly. Using ratios helps you find the best size for your image without compromising quality. You might have seen pictures that appeared too small or too large for the frame, which indicates an improper ratio.
Measuring a ratio gives you an exact idea of canvas sizing. These are the basic steps for calculating aspect ratios:
- Measure your artwork size: First, determine your artwork’s overall dimensions. For instance, you might have a typical 5″ x 7″ or 4″ x 6″ photograph.
- Determine a ratio within the size: Calculate a ratio within the existing size. For example, you might want to view how your 4″ x 6″ photo appears within a square canvas. So, you might choose a 4:4 — or 1:1 — ratio.
- Outline the ratio: Next, use painter’s tape or strips of paper to outline the new ratio over the current image. In other words, arrange strips to change the 4″ x 6″ image into a 4″ x 4″ image, blocking off the additional inches.
- Adjust as necessary: Lastly, inspect the new ratio’s appearance and adjust as needed.
One of the best ways to work through this process is by contacting print service professionals. They can evaluate your image and provide recommendations for specific ratios or sizes.
Choose Tribeca Printworks for Custom Canvas Printing
Finding the right canvas size is crucial for your image and room appearance. At Tribeca Printworks, we understand the importance of canvas print sizing. We offer a wide range of high-quality canvas giclee printing options. With our many sizes, you can find the dimensions that closely match your needs.
Our team works with you to find the ideal size for your space and image. We use a one-stop-shop approach, allowing you to complete the entire printing process in one centralized location. Whether you prefer online or in-person orders, we can help.
To get started with Tribeca Printworks, contact us today for a free quote and consultation.